It’s my birthday. The second day of the year when it is appropriate and customary to think about life in the abstract. But where January first is a day for looking forward and making goals, a birthday, in this case the twelfth of June, is a perfect day for looking at how far you’ve come.
It’s not like 29 is a big deal. Except for the part where the amount of time left in your twenties is no longer measurable in years. Now it is just days. 364 of them to be exact.
Sure, you’re a grownup. At least you play one on TV. You have a day job. You have friends. You have family. That makes you pretty much a rock star.
Look at all you have learned.
- You are a survivor. If you can walk when everyone says it may never happen, you can do anything. The world is yours.
- It might be the shoes. Sometimes the moment calls for designer shoes. The right shoes can make all the difference in how you feel, so chose wisely.
- Family. They love you. They support you. And they will never turn their back on you. So, be patient and kind and always remember to tell them how much you love them.
- When all else fails, do a little dance. There are always going to be tough days. There is never an excuse not to dance.
- You can find friends in all sorts of places. Sure, once you are done with college, friends don’t just keep appearing in your life at the same rate, but if you keep looking, they can be found just about anywhere.
- Never underestimate the power of friendship. It doesn’t matter if you met 5 minutes ago or 5 years ago, friendship is a powerful bond that you should cherish.
- No matter how sick you get, remember you are not alone. Remember that family? Or those friends you have? You have got to let them in. Tell them that you are struggling. You don’t need to suffer alone.
- Being a cyborg is cooler than it looks. The technology is pretty damn amazing and the fact that it gave you your life back is just incredible. And no one has to know that you were shipped with defective parts.
- Inspiration is all around you. Everyone has a story, a struggle. Take inspiration from their triumphs to help lead you to your own.
There are 364 days left in my twenties.
Those days are packed moments that might be. Possibility and hopes. They have potential to be just about anything. They are the days for taking over the world.
So, let’s have some epic gluten-free cupcakes and celebrate being alive.