Fruit crisps are one of the easiest desserts to whip up.
You know, when you find raspberries at the farmer’s market (or you find a bag of frozen raspberries in your freezer that you didn’t know you had). Or someone drops by for sangria on the porch and you want to serve something yummy.
This is a dessert that I learned from my mother, and is more of a guideline than a recipe. It can be thrown together in a couple of minutes, popped into the oven and left alone. It uses ingredients that we always have on hand, and can be adapted and changed to use what ever is in your kitchen. Just don’t melt the butter, or you will end up with a mushy crust.
Boys, if you need to do something sweet for a girl, this dessert, topped with a wee bit of vanilla ice cream is a winner. (You hear that Blondie? Even you could make this).
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries*
- 1/8 cup sugar (if a sweeter dessert is desired)
- 1 cup gluten free oats*
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a small baking dish (8in square-ish).
- Pour in berries and sprinkle with sugar. (I didn’t use it, but if your berries are extra tart, you can add it in).
- In a mixing bowl add softened butter, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mix with your hands until combined.
- If the mixture is too crumbly, add a little butter. Too loose? Add some oats. Not sweet enough? Add a little more brown sugar.
If you can’t eat oats, quinoa flakes will work here. Also, make sure they are gluten free.
You can swap out the berries for any fresh or frozen fruit.
Oats, sugar, butter, vanilla, fruit and complimentary spices. Mix the crust with your hands. Not enough? Mix some more.