You are probably not going to be all that excited about today’s recipe. But you should be.
Pastry Cream is one of those things that you should know how to make. It can fill your cream puffs, it can be served as a vanilla pudding or make it the filling for a fruit tart.
It is also frequently made with all-purpose flour. This recipe isn’t.
I also like making it with So Delicious (a coconut milk). I don’t drink milk, so that is usually all I have in my fridge. So, this can be made dairy free. The only thing that it can’t be (as far as I know) is vegan.
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) cornstarch
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) sugar, divided
- ½ cup So Delicious Creamer with 1½ cups unsweetend coconut milk or 2 cups milk, divided
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- pinch of salt
- Prepare an ice bath.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolks and the creamer (or ½ cup milk).
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, bring the remaining 1½ cups milk to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add the hot milk to the egg mixture about a third at a time to temper the eggs. If you do this too fast you will end up with scrambled egg yolks and not a smooth cream.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the egg mixture. Over medium heat, keep whisking until the cream thickens and when you scrape the bottom of a pot, the cream does not close the gap immediately. Stir in the vanilla, salt
- Put the pot over your ice bath and stir every 5-10 mintues for about half an hour, or until the cream has cooled.