This post is part of the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally, a group of gluten-free bloggers inspired and empowered by Ruhlman‘s Ratio. We get together each month and post many different takes on the same theme. This month that theme is Gluten-Free Bagels and the rally is being hosted by Morri from Meals with Morri
I cannot believe that it is May, much less that it isMay 2nd and that it is Ratio Rally day. Because April was one ca-razy busy month.
There was a blogging conference and a gluten-free expo. There was a gluten-free cookie ebook to write. There were high school musicals and there was a design conference and a pastry demo at the French Pastry School.
I am not sure how I got so much done in a month! All I know is that I am beat. And it is Ratio Rally day. And I am hoping and praying that these “bagel bombs” turn out swell.
Here goes nothing. Bagel Bombs. Explosive balls of bagel-y goodness. There were not hours to let a sponge develop or more hours to proof the dough. I needed a cheat. I almost considered making you doughnuts because I know I can make those.
Most of the other bloggers figured out ratios and slaved over math. I didn’t, so please forgive me. I found a way to have a yeasty, chewy cream cheese filled treat the easy way. No boiling required.
Morri | Meals with Morri – Blueberry Oat Bagels
Jenn | Jenn Cuisine – Sundried Tomato Parmesan Bagels
Adina | Gluten Free Travelette – Garlic Egg Bagels
Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary – Gluten-Free Bagels, with variations
gretchen | kumquat – Cinnamon Raisin Teff Bagels
Jean Layton | GFDoctorRecipes – Gluten-Free Sourdough Bagels
Meaghan | The Wicked Good Vegan – Vegan Gluten-Free Bagels
Meg | Gluten-Free Boulangerie – Classic Poppyseed Bagels (Vegan/Food Allergy-Safe)
TR | No One Likes Crumbley Cookies – Classic Gluten-Free Bagels
Angela | Angela’s Kitchen – Gluten Free Bagels with variations
Caleigh | Gluten Free[k] – Orange and Caraway Bagels
Caneel | Mama Me Gluten Free – Just Plain Bagels
Pete and Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem – Faux Pumpernickel Bagels
Oh, and if you like what you read here on FrannyCakes, please considered supporting the blog by purchasing my Gluten-Free Cookie Ebook. It is all my childhood favorites. And they all pretty much rock. Just like you do.
|Gluten Free Cinnamon Raisin Bagel Bombs||
- 1 8 ounce package (227 grams) cream cheese (plain, not low-fat)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1-2 handfulls raisins (optional)
- 3 grams (or 3/4 teaspoon) active dry yeast
- 185 g (or 7/8 cups) room temperature water (warm enough to activate but not so hot it kills the yeast)
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 300 grams (or 2 1/4 cups) gluten-free all-purpose flour
- Neutral oil
- 1 egg
- 75 grams sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon stirred in
- Cream the cream cheese and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the raisins.
- Scoop the filling into 12 equal portions onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and freeze.
- Combine the yeast, lukewarm water and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer comine the salt, cinnamon and the flour blend. With the mixer on low, slowly stir in the yeast mixture. Once it starts to come together, put it in an oiled bowl somewhere warm for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and lightly beat your egg.
- Wrap 30 grams of dough around each ball of cream cheese filling, pinching to make sure there are no holes. Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Brush dough balls liberally with egg wash and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Balls are done when they are a light golden brown and some of the filling has exploded out.