This post is part of the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally, a group of gluten-free bloggers inspired and empowered by Ruhlman‘s Ratio. We get together each month and post many different takes on the same theme. This month that theme is Gluten-Free Crackers and the rally is being hosted by Rachel from The Crispy Cook.
This is a post about crackers. Which happen to be another something I don’t care too much for the commercially available options, and I always thought that baking them was incredibly labor intensive.
I couldn’t have been more wrong.
It took 5 minutes of weighing and whirring ingredients around in my food processor and 5 minutes of rolling and scoring. I popped them into the oven for 15 minutes. And then I had crackers. Delicious, home-made crackers.
I made these Cracked Pepper Gluten-Free Whole Grain Crackers as part of the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally for this month. Sadly, there was no ratio – so I winged it. I adapted a recipe for gluten-free crackers to suit my taste, and I am pretty happy with the results. Crackers are really just flour & water with some fat or egg to help hold them together. Easy peasy, my crackers come together in 10 minutes with a food processor, and then they bake for 15-20. You can swap out my 2 grains for any 2 grains that you prefer, and the flavor will change with the grains you use.
Before the recipe- see what the other rally-ers came up with…
T.R. from No One Likes Crumbley Cookies made Gluten Free Graham Crackers
Rachel from The Crispy Cook made Cilantro Crackers
Heather from Discovering the Ordinary made Zippy Garlic Crackers (grain free)
Jonathan from The Canary Files made Savory Spice Crackers
Angela from Angela’s Kitchen made Crisp Bread Sticks (and bread stick “sparklers”)
Heather from My Gluten-Free Home made Gluten-free Seafaring Crackers
|Gluten-Free Cracked Pepper Whole Grain Crackers||
- 100 g (3/4 cup) Sorghum Flour
- 100g (3/4 cup) Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 70 g (5 tablespoons) cold butter
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Sea salt & pepper to sprinkle on the top
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a food processor, combine flours, pepper, sugar, salt and baking powder. Pulse to ensure an even mixture.
- Cut butter into 4 pieces, and add to the food processor. Pulse until your mixture starts to look like wet sand.
- Add the water in a slow stream while the food processor is running. Stop when a dough ball forms.
- Form the dough into a rough rectangle and place on a sheet of parchment. Sprinkle with some brown rice flour and top with an additional sheet of parchment.
- Roll out a 12×16″ rectangle (about the size of a half sheet/ jelly roll pan).
- Remove the top parchment and score into crackers (mine were about a half inch square). Prick the dough all over with a fork and sprinkle with the pepper and sea salt.
- Bake for 15-18 mins, or until crackers turn golden brown.
- Let cool. They should keep in an air-tight container for about a week.