I have been sitting on this recipe for a while, and mostly it is because I don’t want to tell you. I want you to invite me to a party and ask me to bring this cake.
Because there is nothing like a good rum cake. It is a dessert cake and a breakfast cake.
And this is an old family recipe that I defloured myself. By creating my own scratch gluten-free yellow cake mix, I was able to make this rum cake.
Daddycakes asked for rum cake for his birthday, but not any old rum cake. He wanted Aunt Jean’s Rum Cake. The one where there is rum in the batter, rum in the glaze and rum in the baker’s diet coke.
I am really sad that I wasn’t around in the morning to have a slice for breakfast, although there wasn’t really much more than a slice left once dessert was over.
|Aunt Jean’s Rum Cake (gluten-free)||
- For the cake
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 recipe (or package that is standard size) [url href=”http://frannycakes.com/recipes/gluten-free-yellow-cake-mix/”]Gluten-free Yellow cake mix[/url] (Betty Crocker GF mix will NOT work!)
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding (3 ¾ oz size)
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup dark rum
- For the Glaze
- 115 g (½ cup) butter, melted
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- ¼ cup dark rum
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare pan by carefully oiling and flouring the pan (I use sorghum flour usually). Spread pecans evenly around your bundt pan.
- Mix cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and rum in the bowl of a stand mixer for two minutes on medium speed.Increase the speed to high and beat for a minute longer.
- Pour over pecans in bundt pan.
- Bake for 35-35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan while you make the glaze.
- Mix glaze ingredients in saucepan and bring to a low boil. Once all the sugar is dissolved, remove the pan from heat.
- Prick bottom of cake and slowly spoon about a fourth of the glaze over the bottom of the cake, being careful to make sure it doesn’t run over the sides.
- Let the cake sit in the pan absorbing the glaze for about half an hour. After glaze is absorbed invert cake onto a plate. Pour the rest of the glaze over the top of the cake and let sit for at least an hour before serving.